Following an Earthquake
- Be prepared for aftershocks. While aftershocks are generally smaller than the earthquake that generates them, they can cause additional damage.
- If you smell gas, notify the Office of the Building or Security immediately.
- Check immediate location – make sure you are safe.
- Check for injuries and apply first aid as needed. Be prepared for an absence of immediate emergency services, and be prepared to help yourself and others.
- Extinguish any fires. Do not light matches. Do not smoke.
- Listen for news or pertinent instructions on the radio or television.
- Do not use the telephone unless you have a dire emergency; ensure that all telephone receivers are properly mated to their cradles.
- Conserve, and responsibly ration food and water.