The following is a list of general office security suggestions, which are offered to you as an aid in establishing your internal security procedures:
- Restrict office keys to those who actually need them.
- Keep complete, up-to-date records of the distribution of all office keys.
- Establish uniform procedures for collecting keys prior to the termination of employees.
- Establish a rule that keys must never be left unguarded on desks or cabinets.
- Require that filing cabinet keys be removed from locks and placed in a secure location after opening cabinets.
- Prevent unauthorized personnel from reporting a lost key and receiving a replacement.
- Ensure that a responsible person is in charge of issuing all keys.
- Store keys systematically in a secured wall cabinet of either your own design or one that conforms to a commercial key control system.
- Insist on identification from repairmen who come to work in your office.
- Clear all desks of important papers.
- When working alone in the office at night, lock the front door to prevent anyone else from entering.
- Keep the police, fire department, and building security telephone numbers posted.
- Double check to see that all doors are securely locked before you leave.
If you see suspicious or offensive persons in the building, please call the Office of the Building at 312.827.7800 immediately. If possible, make note of appearance, clothing, etc. in order to assist building security in locating them.
Please be aware of strangers in your Tenant areas and halls. Quite often a question such as “May I help you locate someone?” will be enough to deter a potential thief. Suspicious encounters of this type should be reported to the Office of the Building immediately.
As part of our overall security program for 180 North LaSalle Street, locks are installed on all restroom doors. These require the use of a key to gain access. When a tenant moves in, restroom keys are provided through the Office of the Building. We suggest restroom keys be held by the receptionist or someone in a central location in your office.