Workplace violence includes verbal assaults, stalking, threats and physical assaults. If you experience a workplace violence situation, do the following:
- If any kind of weapon is involved call Chicago Police at 911.
- Call the Office of the Building at 312.827.7800.
- Remain CALM and do not aggravate the situation.
- Keep as far from the hostile individual(s) as possible.
- Limit the hostile individuals' access to interior building areas.
- Save any evidence of threats (e.g. voice mail messages, notes, etc.).
- If needed, arrange for a security escort for any threatened individuals when they leave the building.
Types of Threats
- Electronic Threats: Telephone calls, voice mail messages, e-mail, etc.
- Stalking: Following a person on or off site, returning to an area when requested to leave, etc.
- Harassment: Unwelcome acts, gestures, verbal communication, or physical contact not resulting in physical harm.
- Overheard threats: Threats overheard which are directed against an employee or sabotage to property.